Coming In The April 2018 Issue Of Drum
**Special Rhythm Sections Issue**
On the Cover: Jojo Mayer & John Davis
Drumming virtuoso Mayer and bassist extraordinaire Davis are the driving forces behind Nerve, the shape-shifting improvisational band that incorporates rock, jazz, funk, house, and dubstep. Drum Magazine sat down with Nerve’s roguish rhythm section to discuss what makes them click, and how ideas and a point of view can be more important than technical proficiency.
- The 10 Greatest Rhythm Sections: Drum profiles ten rhythm sections from ten historically important bands to recognize the creative contributions they made to today’s musical vocabulary.
- Five Ways To Groove With Your Bass Player: This lesson feature explores and analyzes the musical interplay between drummers and bass players as heard on more than 30 classic recordings spanning genres and decades.
- Bass Drum Beater Roundup: The beater that you choose for your bass drum pedal is vitally important to your drum set’s overall sound, and they come in a variety of shapes, materials, and sizes. We help you make selections with the results of our beater tests.
- Pan Rocks: Matt Starr and Tracy Thornton co-lead a 30-piece pan steel project that covers rock and roll hits with a full band and the songs’ original artists.
- Electronic Versus Acoustic Drums: We examine the strengths and weaknesses of both types of instruments in four main categories: sound, touch, live and studio, and portability.
- Jazz Chops For Rock Drummers: We present essential playing techniques and describe gear considerations that rock drummers will need to know to play a jazz gig with confidence.
- Barrett Martin of Walking Papers
- Kush Abadey of trumpeter Wallace Roney’s band
- Doc Sweeney Steam-Bent Rosewood Drums
- Zildjian K Sweet Series Cymbals
- Alternate Mode JamKAT and DITI
- Advertising reservations due by January 19, 2018
- Advertising materials due by January 26, 2018
- Issue on sale March 13, 2018
*subject to change