On the Cover
Lisa Batiashvili is set to premiere the Escaich concerto for violin and oboe.
Focus on Modern Instruments and Bows
- Where the Customer Always Comes First: Many of the world’s greatest violinists beat a path to Samuel Zygmuntowicz’s Brooklyn workshop.
- Great Bows Under $4,000: With a little shopping and research, savvy bow shoppers can find great bargains from contemporary makers.
- The Copycats: A copy of a fine stringed instrument remains a passionate and practical choice for many musicians.
Features and Departments
- Border Crossing: There’s a bright future ahead for mariachi, the passionate (and sometimes maligned) music of Mexico.
- The Teacher: Bigger-than-life cellist and educator Frans Helmerson dispenses tailor-made, no-nonsense advice to his students.
- Historic Hadyn: Newly reissued recordings helped trigger a surge of interest in Haydn quartets on disc.
- Address the Fundamentals: Parker Quartet violist Jessica Bodner says the practice of scales, arpeggios, and double-stops is integral to building a solid foundation.
- Violist Jessica Meyer on “Why I Play Contemporary Music.”
- Advertising reservations due by January 16, 2015
- Advertising materials due by January 23, 2015
- Issue on sale March 10, 2015