Coming In The December 2017 Issue Of Drum
**Special Holiday Wishbook Feature**
On the Cover: Gil Sharone
The world gasped in the mid-2000s as Sharone muscled through a rollercoaster of impossible complexity during his tenure in Dillinger Escape Plan, but he now employs a more deliberate rhythmic strategy in his new gig with Marilyn Manson, with just as much power but fewer notes per second.
- Dave Elitch Tells The Truth: Though he has played with such notable acts as The Mars Volta, Miley Cyrus, and Juliette Lewis, Elitch’s heart is in drum education, and in this article he offers advice about developing technique, learning from the greats, and fostering your own sound.
- 10 Ways To Sound Like Jeff Porcaro: We outline the various attributes and influences that combined to make the late, great drummer one of the most recorded session players in the Los Angeles scene during the latter half of the 20th century.
- When Chicago Was King: Revisit a time when classic brands like Slingerland, Leedy, Ludwig & Ludwig, and Camco duked it out for the top spot among manufacturers based in and around the Windy City.
- Gumbi Ortiz: Follow the aspirational story of how a last-minute pick-up gig turned into a 30-year career as Al Di Meola’s resident percussionist and musical director.
- Build Your Studio’s Sound Library: Having a killer sound library assures that your programmed drum parts sound like the real deal. We suggest various options to suit different budgets, and make specific recommendations.
- Beyond The Boogaloo: Many young drummers play various permutations of this beat without even knowing it. We delve into its glories.
- Greg Saunier of Deerhoof
- Mike Reed of People, Places & Things
- SJC Navigator Drums
- Stagg Genghis Cymbals
- Evans UV1 Drumheads
- Advertising reservations due by September 22, 2017
- Advertising materials due by September 29, 2017
- Issue on sale November 14, 2017