Coming In The May 2018 Issue Of Drum
***This issue will receive bonus distribution at the Connecticut Drum Show!***
On the Cover: Cindy Blackman Santana
We catch up with Santana drummer Cindy Blackman Santana, who was mentored early on by Tony Williams and has a long list of album and touring credits in both jazz (Pharoah Sanders, Cassandra Wilson, Hugh Masekela) and rock music (Lenny Kravitz, Joss Stone), including several solo releases and projects as a bandleader. She shares her observations about drumming alongside Santana percussionists Karl Perazzo and Paoli Mejias, and takes us behind the scenes for the production of her upcoming 2018 solo album.
- Paul Leim: The veteran Nashville-based session and touring drummer (Kenny Chesney, Rosanne Cash, Neil Diamond, Carrie Underwood, Star Wars: Return Of The Jedi) reflects on his 55 years in the music business.
- How To Simplify Your Setup: Straightforward advice offering time-efficient, tried-and-true solutions for gigging drummers who are looking to streamline the set-up and breakdown process.
- The Followers of Mitch Mitchell: An historic analysis of the drummers whose styles were clearly influenced by Mitch Mitchell, Jimi Hendrix’s fiery sideman who was among the first rock drummers to adapt jazz chops into his playing style.
- Karl Perazzo and Paoli Mejias: Santana’s powerhouse percussion section carries on the band’s enduring legacy of fusing traditional Central and South American grooves and soloing concepts with high-energy rock and roll.
- Electronic Versus Acoustic Drums: We examine the strengths and weaknesses of both types of instruments in four main categories: sound, touch, live and studio, and portability.
- Crossovers Workshop: Learn techniques, suggested setup adjustments, and patterns that can help you to integrate crossovers into your drumming.
- Jimmy Chamberlin
- Sonny Emory
- Crush Sublime Birch Drums
- Sabian FRX Cymbals
- Alternate Mode JamKAT and DITI
- Advertising reservations due by February 16, 2018
- Advertising materials due by February 23, 2018
- Issue on sale April 10, 2018