Coming In The Summer 2018 Issue Of Drum
**This issue will receive bonus distribution at Summer NAMM, Chicago Drum Show, and Sweetwater GearFest**
On the Cover: Barry Kerch of Shinedown
The longtime drummer in the Jacksonville, Florida–based metal band makes it a point to serve the music and play for the song, keeping his parts simple and delivering only what is necessary to elevate a track. This approach served him well on the band’s latest release, Attention Attention. Kerch goes into detail about his musical upbringing and wide-ranging influences, and how they help him to cultivate optimal grooves and fills as the band develops a song. He also tells the stories behind the album sessions, and describes his attention to detail when it comes to creating his individual drum sound. Photo above by Sayre Berman.
- When Chicago Was The Hub Of Drum Manufacturing: Before branching out to both coasts, some of the most familiar brands — including Ludwig, Leedy, and Slingerland — were originally headquartered in and around Chicago in the 1920s and ’30s. We trace the early competitive spirit that existed and innovations that were introduced in that era..
- Snare Strainers From The 1920s and ’30s: A look back at an historic era in which drum companies competed to invent ever more ingenious throw-offs, some of which ventured into bizarre and occasionally impractical designs.
- Jake Wood: The San Francisco Bay Area based drummer takes us behind the scenes for a close-up look at his gig as a percussionist for Hamilton: An American Musical.
- Acoustic Versus Electronic Drums: A comparison of things you can do with an electronic kit that can’t be done on acoustics, and vice versa: things you can do with acoustic drums that can’t be done with electronics.
- Workshop: 20 Ways To Add Space To Your Drumming.
- Blake Richardson of the progressive metal band Between The Buried And Me
- Georgia Hubley of Yo La Tengo
- Yamaha EAD-10
- DW Contemporary Classic Kit
- Evans UV1 bass drum head
- DW Low Pro kit
- LP MT Box Cajon
- Advertising reservations due by March 30, 2018
- Advertising materials due by April 6, 2018
- Issue on sale May 11, 2018
*subject to change