Special Focus: Collectors
Greg Olwell talks to several top ukulele collectors about how they tracked down and acquired their instruments, and also dips into the ukulele auction market.
Features and Departments
- Uke Buddies: Bryan Tolentino, Herb Ohta Jr. and other top players talk about the joys and challenges of playing music with others.
- Running a Uke Workshop: Jim D’Ville offers valuable advice on how to make a workshop a more valuable experience.
- Ukulelezaza: A profile of the one of Europe’s leading players and educators: Dutch-born Remco Houtman-Janssen whose nom-de-uke is Ukulelezaza. Includes a tune to play.
- A Primer on Alternate Tunings for Uke: Heidi Swedburg digs into the increasingly popular use of alternate tunings for ukulele, while Daniel Ward offers a lesson on the subject along with music to play.
- Historic Uke Sheet Music: Sandor Nagyszalanczy looks at ukulele sheet music from the instrument’s first golden age, the 1920s and ’30s. Lots of cool and colorful examples!
- Also…Jim D’Ville on a pair of jazz uke books from Paul Hemmings; reviews of new ukes from Kanile’a, Amahi, and Luna; Jake Shimabukuro Trio album; Great Ukes: 1940s Globe Tru-Fret; Uke events for July through October; and lots more!
- Advertising reservations due by February 28, 2020
- Advertising materials due by March 6, 2020
- Issue on sale April 21, 2020