Special Focus: Ukulele in the Time of the Virus
Heidi Swedberg surveys the ukulele scene to see how the coronavirus pandemic has affected uke concerts, clubs, workshops, and other facets of our musical world.
Features and Departments
- Blues Lesson: Daniel Ward talks about mastering hammer-ons and pull-offs on the ukulele.
- Cowboy Ukuleles: Another fascinating uke history lesson from Sandor Nagyszalanczy, who looks at the short-lived production of instruments with cool, cowboy-themed designs.
- J. Chalmers Doane: Jim D’Ville interviews the patriarch of Canada’s active and thriving ukulele education community, who talks about his development of the famous Triangle Ukulele, his views on pedagogy, and more.
- Django on Uke: Marcy Marxer shares a lesson on how to translate the brilliance of guitar wizard Django Reinhardt to the humble four-string, using the tune “Dark Eyes” as an example.
- Casey McGill’s Personal Uke History: The versatile uke star offers a photo history of the ukuleles he’s owned and loved through the years.
- Also…Learn to play Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah” and the beautiful, old Stephen Foster tune “Beautiful Dreamer”; find out about Dino Muradian’s gorgeous and unique pyrography designs; New Mexico’s Pimentel family lutherie business; the lowdown on copyright and public domain; reviews of new ukes from Enya and Kala; and plenty more!
- Advertising reservations due by May 29, 2020
- Advertising materials due by June 5, 2020
- Issue on sale July 21, 2020