Coming In The October 2017 Issue Of Drum
On The Cover: Antonio Sanchez
The hyper-talented Mexican national, now living in Queens, didn’t mince words when he titled his latest solo album Bad Hombre. Recorded in the same home studio where he cut the revolutionary drum tracks for the hit movie Birdman, the new album reflects his recent explorations into combining electronic music with acoustic drums. He explains the creative process.
- Dave Elitch Tells The Truth: Though he has played with such notable acts as The Mars Volta, Miley Cyrus, and Juliette Lewis, Elitch’s heart is in drum education, and in this article he offers advice about developing technique, learning from the greats, and fostering your own sound.
- Hearing Loss & You: It’s the elephant in the room. Drumming can be detrimental to your hearing unless you take adequate precautions, so in this article we outline exactly what happens to unprotected ears that are exposed to high decibels, and offer advice about how to get the most out of your drumming while maintaining good health.
- The Drummers Of King Crimson: Some of the most influential drummers of the past several decades cut their teeth with these quirky progressive rock legends. We track their comings and goings, from Michael Giles, Ian Wallace, and Bill Bruford to the current lineup of Pat Mastelotto, Gavin Harrison, and Bill Rieflin.
- Gilmar Gomes: Currently on tour with Enrique Inglesias and Pitbull, Gomes has carved out a stellar reputation on the rock, pop, jazz, and Latin circuit with such acts as Foreigner, Anat Cohen, and Meshell Ndegeocello.
- 2017 Electronic Percussion Gear Guide: Our popular Gear Guide series continues with a thorough overview of the newest electronic kits, triggers, sound modules, and controllers introduced in 2017, grouped into common-sense categories, and fleshed out with specs, photos, pricing, and expert commentary.
- Ray Mayorga Drum Parts: Transcription and analysis of “Knievel Has Landed” from Stone Sour’s new album Hydrograd, with playing tips from the drummer himself.
- Nate Smith
- Charlie Hall of War On Drugs
- Canopus RFM Drum Kit
- Stagg Genghis Cymbals
- Craviotto Private Reserve Snare Drums
- Advertising reservations due by July 28, 2017
- Advertising materials due by August 4, 2017
- Issue on sale September 12, 2017